In contrast to production-based programs, OperaWorks develops complete artists in a process-oriented environment. Each program teaches essential stage and business skills rarely offered in performance degrees and programs. Classes and productions focus on developing the ability to express freely - musically and dramatically - with the voice and the body, decrease negative self-talk, regulate anxiety in high-pressure situations, and market one’s strengths in the evolving performing arts industry.
EMERGING ARTIST PROGRAM
June 3-18, 2018
Los Angeles CA
ADVANCED ARTIST PROGRAM
June 24-July 23, 2018
Los Angeles CA
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 10, 2018
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- EMERGING ARTISTS: The Emerging Artist Program is designed specifically for motivated young performers with healthy vocal techniques who want to develop strong performance skills, expand their stage experience, and develop marketing and business skills. Participants perform in multiple classes every day to explore new forms of expression, decrease negative self-talk, build confidence, and achieve artistic freedom. (minimum age 18).
- ADVANCED ARTISTS: The Advanced Artist Program is geared toward professional artists, those with Young Artist Program credits, and career-oriented graduate students who want to fine-tune their performance techniques and improve marketability. The program also features multiple classes to strengthen audition skills, career planning, and business and marketing abilities. Taught in a non-competitive environment, participants perform in multiple classes every day to explore new forms of expression, decrease negative self-talk, build confidence, and achieve artistic freedom.
- All singers will be actively involved in a wide range of classes and activities designed to holistically develop the complete performer. These include: Coachings, Performance Techniques, Acting, Improvisation, Alexander Technique, Yoga, Physical Theatre, Conducting, and Visualization. Business and Career classes focus on entrepreneurial skills and career development.
- EMERGING ARTISTS: "Performance Reimagined" World Premiere, June 16-17, 2018
- ADVANCED ARTISTS: "Opera ReConstructed" World Premiere, July 21-22, 2018
- Our world-class faculty bring expertise in operatic traditions, and an ability to lay aside those traditions to use innovative methods to develop 21st century performers. Click here for faculty bios.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 10, 2018
APPLY NOW using OperaWorks' YAP Tracker application
RECORDED Auditions: Submit 3 contrasting arias and/or art songs in at least 2 languages. Video recordings preferred, recorded within the past 18 months. DEADLINE January 10, 2018
LIVE Auditions: Offer 5 contrasting arias and/or art songs in at least 2 languages. A pianist will be provided at live auditions at no charge.
- Dallas/Fort Worth - January 20
- Los Angeles - January 20-21
- New York City - January 26-27
- Boston - January 28
- Rochester NY - February 1
- Chicago - February 3
OperaWorks' programs are intense and challenging, and time is built in to allow for practice, reflection, and building a supportive community. Additional options include: professional headshot sessions and CD recordings in a recording studio.
- June 3: Check-in to campus apartments
- June 4-15: Monday-Friday, 9:30am - 6:00pm
- June 16-17: Performances
- June 18: Check-out
- June 24: Check-in to campus apartments
- June 25-July 20: Monday-Friday, 9:30am - 6:00pm
- July 21-22: Performances
- July 23: Check-out
Participants are housed in spacious 2-bedroom apartments on the campus of California State University, Northridge. Each apartment features a living room, dining area, kitchen, private balcony, and swimming pool. Meals are not included. Also available to OperaWorks are two large swimming pools, basketball courts, and a state-of-the-art gym. Double occupancy rate is for two people in a shared bedroom. Private bedrooms can be requested based on availability for an additional fee.
EMERGING ARTISTS HOUSING
- Check in: June 3, 2018
- Check-out: June 18, 2018
- Check in: June 24, 2018
- Check-out: July 23, 2018
Attending OperaWorks is an investment in your career and we take this very seriously. Our nearly 2:1 participant-faculty ratio gives you unparalleled individualized attention and extraordinary performance experiences.
- Tuition: $2,375
- Housing: $475* (double occupancy, 4 per apartment)
- Tuition: $3,875
- Housing: $875* (double occupancy, 4 per apartment)
OperaWorks offers a limited number of small scholarships based on need. All participants will receive OperaWorks' personalized fundraising packet as part of their career skill development. Scholarship Application Deadline: January 10, 2018
Download a scholarship application
- $600 non-refundable deposit due upon acceptance into the program
- Remaining tuition and housing costs are split into monthly payments
- No refunds after May 1, 2018
Questions? Contact OperaWorks at email@example.com or 818.831.9597